Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Thursday, November 30, 2006

2006 An American Thanksgiving Party in Karlsruhe Germany's "Bangkok"

A week after the more traditional turkey day in America, I threw a small party for 16 of my friends and colleagues here in Karlsruhe and Siemens in one of my favorite restaurants, "Bangkok".

Matthias and Charlie

I had ordered several dishes the previous day, selecting what I hoped to be a tasty and interesting mix of Thai spices and flavors. From the looks of the empty dishes and bowls after the 6 course meal 3 hours later, I think I chose wisely!

We of course started our adventure into Thai cuisine with the national dish of Thailand, Tom Yum Goong, which is a spicy sour soup made of vegetables including mushrooms, lemon grass as well as the "goong" which is shrimp/prawns as well as the "hot" chili peppers. For me, I like it so hot it makes you cry but to be nice to my honored guests, I had it prepared a bit mild!

We followed that up with a beef and basil dish called "Pad Gai Pow" along with skewers of chicken and a peanut sauce dip called "satay".

This was also served with another favorite of mine, "Gang Gai" which is a spicy chicken curry mix that is best served over rice but I have often eaten in as a soup. As a balance to the previous hot dishes, I had also ordered "Kow Pad Gai" which is fried rice with a chicken and vegetable dish. For me a dish that can be eaten day or night, breakfast or dinner.

The next hurdle we needed to overcome was an excellently prepared dish of everyone's favorite called "Pad Thai" which is a shiny noodle dish with shrimp and a light peanut sauce. Not 100% sure but I think this was most folks favorite this particular night although from the looks of the empty dishes, smiling faces and comments such as "awesome" from Thomas, I suspect it was all good!

Dieter, which I also call "fearless leader" was as always braving the new frontiers of foreign cusine that I have introduced him to. We have spent many an hour talking about the world while savoring an exotic dish of this or that while enjoying one of the true pleasures of life, German beer!!!

I was also shocked to have Matthias get up during the servings with a small bag and present me with a present of an incredible Swiss Army Knife. The joke was that while roaming the jungles of Thailand I would always be able to cut my way through the jungle! It was truly a wonderful gift and one which I was cherish forever.
Thanks!!!






















    No comments: