Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Lesson: Appointments and Schedules

Exercise 1. Next week's appointments.

Chris Johnson, an entrepreneur, is phoning Commerce Bank. He wants to impress his bank manager, Mr. Schmidt.

Mr. Johnson's Appointment Book

Monday

Chinese dinner with Laura

Tuesday

Wednesday

150,000 kilometer service for BMW

Thursday

A.M. shopping
12:15 Lunch with Laura's parents
17:00 Judo class

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Chris Johnson's Rolodex PDA (Personal Digital Assistant) with Stylus

Schmidt: Hello, Karl Schmidt speaking.
Johnson: Hello, Mr. Schmidt, it's Chris Johnson. I'm just calling to schedule our appointment.
Schmidt: Ah yes, for next week. Which day is convenient for you, Mr. Johnson?
Johnson: I'm afraid I'm quite busy. I'm flying to China on Monday for some important negotiations with a Chinese client. And I'm meeting a consultant on Wednesday to discuss my company's transportation strategy.
Schmidt: I see. Are you available at the end of the week?
Johnson: Possibly. I'm visiting a supplier on Thursday morning and then I'm having an important business lunch at 12:15. But I'm free in the afternoon, until about four thirty. I'm attending a conflict-management training course at five o'clock.
Schmidt: I'm afraid I'm seeing another client on Thursday afternoon, Mr. Johnson. What about Friday morning?
Johnson: Yes, that's fine.
Schmidt: OK, Mr. Johnson. I look forward to seeing you on Friday.

Plans
Friday - 9:30 A.M. Commerce Bank Loan Department

Chris Johnson wants to borrow a large amount of money for a new business project. At the moment, he's presenting his business plan to the bank manager in the bank's conference room.

The Conference Room Table with Swivel Chairs

Johnson: I have a very ambitious plan, Mr. Schmidt, but my objectives are clear.
In the first year I'm going to build the company. I'm going to recruit a team of professionals and we're going to design the best product on the market: Then, we're going to build the most modern factory in the country. I'm going to need a lot of capital.

Year two is going to be an important year. We're going to launch the product in Europe. In the first quarter, we're going to open the factory and recruit workers. We're going to start production in the second quarter. At the same time, we're going to start an advertising campaign to launch out new products in all major European countries.

The object for year three is simple - global success. We're going to increase production for the EU by at least fifty percent. In my opinion, seventy-five percent is possible. And we're going to launch the product in North and South America, Asia, Australia ad Africa. I'm going to build a global brand. The sky's the limit, Mr. Schmidt.

Schmidt: You plan sounds impressive. But could you be more specific? What is your product? What exactly are you going to sell, Mr. Johnson?
Johnson: I'm not exactly sure at the moment. It depends.

Schmidt: It depends? On what, Mr. Johnson?

Johnson: On how much money you can lend me, Mr. Schmidt!

Time Management

Message

Oracle Sales

To:

Helga Smith

From:

Betty (Reception)

Subject:

Phone call from Ms. Miller

Message:

Meeting in the office - Oracle Sales (new software) Wednesday, 2:30 PM

There's a message on your desk Helga.
Yes, I've got it, thanks.
Is it from Larry?
No, it's from Ms. Miller. She's coming here on Wednesday afternoon for a sales meeting and would like to arrange a meeting if it is convenient.
Are you going to be here on Wednesday?
Yes. Do you want me to attend?
Yes, I'd like you and Pauline to attend, if possible.
No problem. We're free all day on Wednesday. What's on the agenda?
We're going to talk about the new software installation. Would you like me to make you a copy of the agenda?
Yes, please. Is Ken from IT going to attend?
No. He wants me to lead the meeting. And I'd like you to attend as well and take notes.
OK.

Exercise 1.

1. Hello, I'm calling to ____________ a meeting for Wednesday.
2. Is next Tuesday morning ________________ for you?
3. No, I'm afraid I'm __________ in the morning but am free in the afternoon.
4. I'm afraid I'm busy in the afternoon. Is Thursday free on your _____________?
5. Yes it is, but I have to leave for the ____________ at 3PM. I am flying to Berlin for a meeting.
6. That works for me. Can we _______________ a meeting for 10 AM?
7. Perfect! That fits into my _____________ and gives me enough time to prepare for my trip.
8. Great. I'll see you at our _____________ at 10 than. We will be meeting in the 3rd floor ______________ room.

Exercise 2. Key Vocabulary

1. A person who starts a new company is called an ___________________.
2. We need to have a meeting. I want to _____________ the new organization.
3. We buy all our raw materials from one _________________.
4. We sell out cars through several ____________________ in different countries.
5. The training manager is responsible for organizing __________________.
6. When banks lend money, they normally ask to see a __________________.
7. What does _______________ mean? - It means buy.
8. __________________ is important. It doesn't just contain the product: it helps to sell it, too.
9. We need more workers. We need to ___________ skilled people using the Internet.
10.The product is going on the market next week. We're ___________________ it on Thursday.
11.For the launch, we're having a big ______________________ on TV.
12. Sony is a famous _______________ for video cameras.
13.Writing a business plan is important because you write down your ______________.
14. January, February and March are the first three months, or the first ______________ of our fiscal year.
15.What the most I can spend per month with my credit card? Your ______________ is $5,000.
16. In the USA, before you can drink alcohol, you need to be _____________ 21 years old.
17. The list of subjects to discuss in a meeting is called the ___________.
18. The report which you write after a meeting is called the ______________.

minutes supplier brand packaging purchase recruit agenda discuss business plan entrepreneur training courses objectives distributors launching advertising campaign
limit at least quarter


Exercise 3. Answer the questions with complete sentences.

Lori's Day Planner

Monday

9:00 AM

attend departmental meeting

Tuesday

10:15 AM
1:00 PM

meet Ray Jones
lunch with Tim and Wendy

Wednesday

11:30 AM
7:30 PM

fly to Frankfurt
dinner with Frankfurt staff

Thursday

9:30 AM

see Ray (discuss product launch)

Friday

6:45 AM
4:30 PM

fly back home
present ad campaign to boss

1. What's Lori doing on Monday morning?
______________________________________________
2. What time is Lori meeting Ray Jones?
______________________________________________
3.What's Lori doing on Wednesday morning?
______________________________________________
4. Who is Lori having dinner with on Wednesday evening?
______________________________________________
5. When is Lori flying back home?______________________________________________
6. What time is Lori making her presentation on Friday afternoon?_____________________________

Exercise 4. Make sentences.

1. Objective: leave my job __________ I'm going to leave my job.
2. Objective: sell my car _______________________________
3. Objective: go on a long vacation ________________________
4. Objective: look for a new job __________________________
5. Objective: work a lot of overtime _______________________
5. Objective: buy a new car ______________________________

Exercise 5. Make a dialogue using the following sentences (Put in correct order).

_____ I'm fine thanks. And you?
_____ Hello. How are you, Larry?
_____ Speaking.
_____ Very well. Could we arrange a meeting next week?
_____ Yes, that suits me fine.
_____ Goodbye.
_____ Hello, Verena?
_____ Tuesday morning. Does that suit you?
_____ OK. I look forward to seeing you on Tuesday.
_____ It's Larry Jones.
_____ Yes, of course. When is it convenient for you?

Exercise 6. Make questions.

1. _________________________________________ I'm meeting Mr. Miller this afternoon.
2. _________________________________________ I'm leaving the office at half past four.
3. _________________________________________ They're going to stay in the Peninsula Hotel.
4. _________________________________________ I'm going to travel to Paris by train.
5. _________________________________________ I'm coming back next Thursday.
6. _________________________________________ We're going to speak English at the meeting.
7. _________________________________________ He's making a presentation because the CEO likes his idea.
8. _________________________________________ I'm going to relax this weekend.

Exercise 7. Listen and Repeat.

1. factory 2. training 3. agenda 4. borrow

5. improve 6. forward 7. objective 8. campaign

9. convenient

No comments: