Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Thursday, December 02, 2010

So You Want to Study in the States?

I positioned my desk strategically so that I had a clear view of all the people entering the room. Some strode in purposefully like executives on their way to a Global Economic Forum. Others slid in and slunk into the unoccupied seats closest to the door. An exasperating few knocked, and knocked, and knocked until, with a sigh, I stopped my people-watching to attend to them.

An EducationUSA advisor in Zimbabwe leads a talk on navigating US immigration

It was the last Friday of April at EducationUSA Bulawayo and the monthly “So you want to study in the States” lecture was going to begin in ten minutes. I was the office intern responsible for the logistics of the lecture, but instead of embarking on a frantic search for clipboards, pens and projector cables, I returned to my seat and studied the people engaged in chatter around me.

Given that this was Zimbabwe, where society is fairly homogeneous, the diversity of the people in the audience was appreciable. No three people could attest that they had the same academic background, upbringing and social class. It was amazing that vastly different people, from dissimilar walks of life, could have a common life objective. Every person in the room was present for the same reason: self-empowerment through the attainment of a quality education.

Read the rest of this entry »

No comments: