Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Meet Tran Tuong Nhi, country director IDP Vietnam

Nhi and family

Tran Tuong Nhi joined IDP in 1996 during the formative years of the company in its Vietnam initiatives. Nhi took over as head of IDP Vietnam in 1998 and quickly demonstrated her business skills and understanding of the Vietnam international education market by establishing a viable and sustainable base for the company in Vietnam. Says Nhi, "the IDP Vietnam journey is one which I have enjoyed, and continue to enjoy, immensely."

Nhi has seen significant changes during her time with IDP. "Internally, we've seen a lift in the improved operational systems; especially the enhanced information technology systems developed across all areas in the workplace, organisational restructure to meet the new requirements of the growing business, more customer and client-focus, all of which have led to the improved quality and professionalism of IDP services."

A particular milestone for Nhi was when IDP Vietnam was awarded (after three years pursuit) the 100 per cent foreign investment licence which changed IDP's status from a representative office. The Licence formed a concrete platform for the success of IDP Vietnam.

The Vietnamese market has seen a dramatic change in the increasing demand and need in overseas education, both in quantity and quality. As a result of this, the competition for both IDP and Australian education has become more challenging. Nhi can see both challenges and opportunities are rising for all in the Vietnam market.

Vision

Her vision for IDP Vietnam is to be seen as the first option for institutions, students and their families to turn to when they have need of the kind of services that the company delivers. "The part that I and my excellent team in Vietnam can contribute to that goal is to strive to be the best at what we do in Vietnam. By delivering excellence for IDP at the local level, we believe that we can play an important role in demonstrating IDP's capacities and capabilities globally."

Nhi completed her tertiary education at the University of Education in Ho Chi Minh City where she studied Teaching Methodology. "Although my current role with IDP differs from the specifics of my education, I draw extensively on my qualifications in the broader field of education in which I now operate – both by enabling Vietnamese students to achieve their own educational goals, and by developing the skills and expertise of the staff who work with me in Vietnam."

Her initial links with Australia came through employment with the Vietnamese operation of the 'Big Australian', BHP Pty Ltd. She later joined IDP in 1996 during its very early formative years in Vietnam, when there was only her and one other employee working in the single office in Ho Chi Minh City.

The growth in business leading to a range of activities involving over 80 staff in 5 locations across the country has been an exciting journey. She says, "although the scale has changed, my personal aspirations remain the same: to help build a better Vietnam by bringing as many opportunities as possible to the young Vietnamese to make a better future for themselves and their families by means of obtaining a world-class education and global integration."

Work-life balance is important to Nhi. "I have a wonderful home environment with my husband, Phu, and my two children, Bun and Bon. Like many of us, my daily routine is built around the important balance between my family at home and my other 'family' – the IDP Vietnam staff and, indeed, the students we work with and their families too. Of course, it is important that we all make time for and continue to improve oneself, and some of the things I do to achieve this are to practice my Yoga and keep up my interest in and passion for Vietnamese cooking."

Working with IDP across our different locations in Vietnam and being in Australia or other countries fairly often for client meetings, company development and conferences involves much travel. Nhi says, "I love seeing different countries and cities and experiencing different cultures and cuisines, and I can only conclude that I must be able to tolerate the sometimes unglamorous side of travel, because both Phu and I love travelling in our own leisure time – both within Vietnam and internationally too."

For more information on IDP Vietnam contact:

Tran Tuong Nhi
Country Director
nhi.tran@idp.com

www.vietnam.idp.com

No comments: