Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Sunday, July 18, 2010

Cambodia: America Day and Cooking Classes

Friday we had an "America Day" for the kids. They got to jump on bouncy things, play three legged races, eat hot dogs, and play other "American" games. They had so much fun. It was great to see them enjoy the simple things that so many American kids take for granted.

Saturday two friends and I went to a silk farm. We watched people make silk scarves and it was so interesting to see how they got the silk from the worm. One thing I asked was if people ate the worm once it had been killed. They have to kill the worms or else there would be so many moths. Our tour guide ate one and I asked him what it tasted like. He said it tasted like corn and as he said that, he gave me one. Yes, I ate a silk worm! It actually wasn't bad. It wasn't wonderful either. The silk farm was really neat.

After we went to the silk farm, we went to a cooking class. We took a tour of a village woman's house and our guide talked about what kind of food the people n the village ate and then the woman showed us that she was making crickets for lunch. My friends and I were taking the tour/class with an Australian couple and Daniel (the guy) asked if he could try one. I had secretly wanted to ask that because I wanted to try one just to say I've eaten a cricket. After he ate his, I asked to have one. It actually wasn't bad if you can get past thinking about what you are eating. It was crunchy, of course and also salty/spicy. Lots of protein. HAHA. We then went back to the place where we had our cooking class and learned how to make Khmer curry, spring rolls and this Khmer dessert. I now know how to make something from Cambodia!! My dad would be so proud.

When we got back from the cooking class, I met up with Sarah and Sophal and we went to Sophal's friend, Evan's house for dinner. We ate and socialized for a few hours and then I came home and went to bed. Yesterday was Sarah's birthday so I gave her her birthday gift too.

Today some friends and I are going to go to the market to buy souvenirs. I am hoping to get most of my souvenirs bought. I think we may go into a temple as well.

No comments: