Teacher Charlie's news and adventures from the world; Korea to Germany and all points in between!

Saturday, July 17, 2010

Thailand Teaching: The First Six Weeks

Do you remember your first day of your current job? From the first step through the front door, you immediately form an opinion of the ways and means of your new occupation. It is those memories that stay with you long after you move onto another job. My first day of teaching was almost overwhelming. No idea of what I was supposed to do, the only clear direction was on what to wear. I was given a stack of textbooks a classroom of 9 year olds, and a time schedule of when I was supposed to teach each subject. Curriculum... forget about it!!

I have been doing it now for 6 weeks and have moved on from the initial shock. I still have no idea about a lot of stuff, but I do know how to get through to the kids, and that is after all what I am here for. When nearly every conversation with my boss ends up on a meaningless tangent, I devote my attention to individual students, and will expand young minds as I can in the process
Teacher Appriciation Day- walk on your knees
Teacher Appriciation Day- walk on your knees
.

I believe that being a shy person has made me a better teacher. I can distinctly remember being a terrified pre-teen, with no desire to be at school.

There was no possibility of ever speaking up in class I was never the go to kid that I have so learned to appreciate. I rarely even speaking at lunch, for that matter. When I did speak, it was much to the surprise of my peers. By recalling how I felt during that phase of life, brings more empathy to how I will interact with students. I will do everything possible to make a student feel that it is ok to speak up. It takes a lot of personal attention, and patience. But I have now created a rapport with the quiet students so that they will give an enthusiastic high-five greeting just like the more outgoing ones.

Being afraid isn't normal per se, but is how some people are. In the sixth grade, my homeroom teacher, Mr. Huff, required each student to give a two-minute speech every Friday in preparation for the end-of-year five minute speech to be given at the school auditorium in front of hundreds. Up to that point, that was the worst experience of my life. The terror of being on a stage with that many people watching me was enough to send tremors down my spine, and like the
Hanoi street crossing, required a change of pantsMy students getting for the knee-walk
My students getting for the knee-walk
.

I won’t be requiring my students to say anymore than 20 words at a time, but I can empathize just the same. Imagine being a 9 year old Thai girl; you are 4’2”, English is a distant second language and you are shy and submissive by nature. A 6’3” White guy walks in and tells you to start talking to the class - how are you going to react?

This whole experience has given me a new-found respect for teachers. To dedicate your life to the education of children is admirable, and the obstacles are many. Even without language and cultural barriers, it is hard to get a message across to high-energy nine year olds. I have found that the material is to easy for some students, and too hard for others. How do I find a balance and “teach to the middle”.? Its an ongoing learning process for myself and the students alike. My first impression hasn't been the greatest, but with only eight weeks remaining, I will work extra hard so that my short-lived influence in their lives is meaningful and lasting.

With Lasting Memories,

Brian Brady


I've included some pictures of the "Teacher Appreciation Day" ceremonies that are observed every school year during the 5th week of classes.

No comments: